Reading 2 Sheffield Wednesday 0

Reading stretched their unbeaten run to 19 games in all competitions as they saw off Sheffield Wednesday to move nine points clear in the automatic promotion places.

Dave Kitson forced Glen Whelan into a first-half own goal then smashed home the second himself to secure a 2-0 win that sees Reading's Premiership dream edge a little closer to reality.

Kitson's eighth of the season ensured he emerged the hero, but the Royals' top scorer could easily have covered himself in more glory.

He saw an early header clawed out by Wednesday keeper David Lucas and had another close-range toe-poke scrambled off the line as Reading dominated.

And the big striker also sportingly refused to claim the crucial opening goal as his challenge forced Wednesday skipper Whelan to slide the ball into his own net.

That crucial breakthrough on 37 minutes was a cruel blow to Wednesday, coming seconds after they had so nearly gone in front themselves.

Whelan's pass had set up Richie Partridge for a clear run at goal, only for the giant figure of Reading keeper Marcus Hahnemann to pounce at his feet and deny him a certain goal.

Hahnemann instantly turned provider, bowling the ball out to Kevin Doyle, whose forceful run and cutback was steered into his own net by the luckless Whelan.

The goal settled Reading, who dominated the second half and deservedly sealed victory with a super strike from Kitson 25 minutes from time.

Glen Little's dazzling run from inside his own half ended with a precise through ball for Kitson to run on to and crack a low shot beyond Lucas and into the far corner.

Chris Brunt almost pulled one back for Wednesday with a shot that deflected off the outstanding Ibrahima Sonko and against a post, but from then it was just a case of how many for Reading.

Doyle was denied a clear penalty when he was upended by Graham Lee in the box and a remarkable goalmouth scramble saw Bobby Convey fire against a post, before Doyle and Steve Sidwell saw their follow-up shots blocked on the line.