Millwall 1 Reading 0 - Match Report

Last updated : 28 August 2004 By Footymad Previewer

By Rob Cooper & FootyMAD

Danny Dichio scored his third goal in three games as Millwall scrapped three points out of play-off contenders Reading.

Dichio managed to head in from close range ten minutes from time after Darren Ward had flicked on David Livermore's free-kick.

The late goal condemned Reading to their second defeat of the campaign - and prevented the Berkshire side from recording three straight league wins, a feat they haven't achieved since February of last year.

This afternoon's contest was all about last season's FA Cup finalists Millwall. After the excitement of being paired with Hungarian side Ferencvaros in yesterday's UEFA Cup draw, the Lions aproved they are hungary for success in the league by recording their fourth clean sheet of the campaign.

Dennis Wise's team started strongly and had three chances to go ahead in the first five minutes, beginning when Adrian Serioux's trademark monster throw bounced off the head of Darren Ward to go wide of the post.

Moments later eventual matchwinner Dichio should have done better with another Serioux throw which fell at the striker's feet, before Livermore drew Marcus Hahnemann into his first save of the match.

Serioux, who has made it clear he wants to be known for his footballing ability rather than his freak throws, was indispensable in his role as holding midfielder and was also at the centre of many of Milwall's attacks.

But the Canadian international very nearly became known for all the wrong reasons when he lost it for Millwall in the 78th minute, giving the ball away in his own box after Graham Stack could only parry Nicky Forster's shot.

Yet the Royals, who were third in the league before today's games, were not without their chances. The visitors, sporting their new all-white away strip showed their true colours 12 minutes into the match when Glen Little was left unmarked at the far post, but headed wide.

Then Forster was unlucky not to put Reading ahead on 24 minutes when his attempted lob over keeper Stack flew wide of the goalmouth.

McCammon had the ball in the net midway through the first half when he headed in his manager Dennis Wise's free-kick, but the goal was ruled out for offside.

Five minutes before the break flame-haired forward Dave Kitson was left alone to blast goalward from 15 yards, but Lions keeper Stack pulled off a point blank save to deny the ex Cambridge United man.

Dichio came close just after the break, as Wise whipped in a corner to meet the striker's head, but he ballooned his effort over the bar.

Ward almost doubled the Lions lead with four minutes left on the clock but was denied by Hahnemann's hand.

Reading hardly played vintage stuff and were left feeling somewhat blue, even if it didn't match their new attire.