Coventry 2 Reading 0

Last updated : 26 December 2002 By Footymad Previewer

Richie Partridge scored one and made one as Coventry made it four straight wins over Reading.

The lively winger, who is on loan at Highfield Road from Liverpool until the end of the season, crossed for Craig Hignett to open the scoring and then cracked home the second after a breathtaking run.

Coventry made a bright start after the game was delayed for 15 minutes because of crowd congestion.

Player-boss Gary McAllister set up Dean Holdsworth in the second minute but the on-loan striker's snapshot was held at the second attempt by Marcus Hahnemann.

Partridge began the game well and his superb run and cross on four minutes created a great opportunity for Jay Bothroyd, but he took one touch too many allowing Hahnemann to collect.

Reading were neat and tidy in midfield but were creating very little early on as the home side limited them to long-range efforts from Jamie Cureton and Andy Hughes which were well off target.

Ricky Newman had Reading's first effort on goal on 39 minutes when he connected with Jamie Harper's cross but Morten Hyldgaard saved comfortably.

The Sky Blues broke down the other end of the field and the impressive Partridge cut in from the left after some neat build-up play and produced a testing cross.

Hignett met the ball with his head and gave Hahnemann no chance from ten yards.

Partridge doubled Coventry's lead early in the second half with a stunning strike.

The 22-year-old beat three men on a 50-yard run before curling a right-footed shot into the top corner of the net from the edge of the box.

Reading struggled to muster a response to going two down as Coventry looked to kill the game off.

Nathan Tyson was introduced as a substitute and had two half chances to pull a goal back, but was off target on both occasions. He volleyed wide from 15 yards after a cross from Graeme Murty and then shot over from the edge of the box moments later.

Reading keeper Hahnemann came forward for a corner in injury time and connected with Tony Rougier's flag-kick, but Barry Quinn cleared off the line.