Johansson's Last-Minute Winner Gives Addicks Victory

Last updated : 03 August 2002 By Rob Cooper
Reading 3 Charlton Athletic 4
Forster 5, Harper 53, Smith 66

Madejski Stadium - Friday 2nd August KO 8pm - Attendance - 3,054

Reading Line-Up:
P Whitehead (J Ashdown 78 min), G Murty, J Mackie, A Williams, N Shorey (A Smith 58 min), K Watson (J Cureton 58 min), J Salako (A Rougier 58 min), A Hughes (A Fashanu 84 min), J Harper (J Gamble 78 min), N Forster (S Igoe 46 min), M Butler (D Henderson 58 min)

Charlton Line-Up: D Kiely, R Kishishev, C Powell, G Stuart (K Lisbie 75), R Rufus, J Fortune, S Parker (J Robinson, 82), J Euell, C Jensen, G Rowett, J Johansson
Jason Euell
Euell Bagged Two Goals For The Addicks

Reading put in a good performance against Premiership side Charlton Athletic but lost 4-3 in an entertaining match.

Alex Smith reminded the home fans that he still wants to play for the first team, smashing home a twenty-five yard thunderbolt midway through the second half; his strike was the pick of the goals.

Due to high-ticket prices, £13 for adults, many potential supporters stayed away from the first home game of the season. A disappointing 3,054 people attended, one of the lowest attendances the stadium has ever seen.

A similar mediocre attendance is expected for Monday's game against West Ham. The fans will surely be back in their thousands though when the Division One campaign kicks off, the first home league clash will be against Sheffield Wednesday on August 13th.

Nicky Forster put Alan Pardew's side ahead, tapping the ball in from close range in the fifth minute. The Addicks defence were somewhat to blame for the goal; after failing to clear a John Salako cross Butler's effort was well blocked by Keily. Forster was there to pounce on the rebound.

Normal service was resumed shortly; the Addicks drew level just ten minutes later. A wicked cross from Scot Parker was met by Jason Euell at the far post. His snap-shot was blocked spectacularly by Whitehead only for the rebound to fall to Johansson who coolly levelled the scoring.

The Royals were looking lively going forward but they conceded again before half time, a Graham Stuart through ball was headed past a stranded Phil Whitehead by former Wimbledon striker Euell.

Reading came back out in the second half slightly aggreived to be behind. With fifty-three minutes on the cross skilful midfielder James Harper squared the game after a good pull back from Sammy Igoe.

However, Jason Euell pushed Alan Curbishley's side out in front again. Reading defender John Mackie, just unable to intercept Jensen's cross, watched as Euell's excellent first touch gave him space to slide a low shot past Whitehead.

But the Royals refused to die and put up a spirited fight, Alex Smith's thunderbolt levelled the scoring in the sixty-sixth minute.

The 'friendly' between the two sides kicked-off late on, Mr Taylor began to lose the plot a bit failing to control Scott Parker who was eventually substituted.

Young Irish midfielder Joe Gamble inexperience came through as he stupidly chose to make a late-lunge on Parker angering the Charlton players.

Gamble got his just rewards when he was felled by hot-headed Scott Parker minutes later.

Republic of Ireland under 21 international Joe Gamble must learn to control his temper if he is to break into the first team. His display against Charlton and his unacceptable about German people recently won't put him in Alan Pardew's good books.

Once tempers had cooled Jonatan Johansson slotted an injury time winner past sub Jamie Ashdown after Euell's effort had been blocked by John Mackie.